Lyn Dario leads the Regulatory team. She has over 25 years’ experience, and has previously worked at Nabarro LLP (now CMS), and Shulmans LLP (now Knights PLC). The Legal 500 2020 ranked the Environment practice at Shulmans, which Lyn headed, as one of the leaders, making it only one of five in the Yorkshire and Humber region to be so recognised.
Lyn is ranked as a Leading Individual for Environment (along with three other practitioners in the region). She is described as being:
“…passionate about her area of law, having the ability to look at problems holistically”
and the Directory states that she is: “prepared to go that extra mile to get results”.
Tyr Law can provide support to businesses and directors on a range of regulatory issues, including:
As well as assisting with corporate and real estate transactions, we can provide advice on environmental compliance (with special expertise in waste law), and we regularly act for businesses facing investigation by the Environment Agency or Local Authorities. We have advised on a range of cases including:
- environmental permitting breaches, including appeals against permit conditions/refusals, and enforcement notices
- defending statutory nuisance (including odour and noise), and appeals against abatement notices
- breaches of public health legislation and the Building Act 1984
- advising on waste exemptions
- remediation strategies for contaminated sites, and contractual apportionment of risk under the contaminated land regime
- animal by-products prosecutions.
The team has advised on CPO inquiries; judicial reviews; and on planning appeals (by way of inquiry, hearing and written representations). We have also advised on prosecutions for breaches of TPOs, listed building requirements, and habitats regulations.
Trading Standards/Environmental Health
We can advise on a wide range of matters that fall within the investigatory remit of local authorities.
- food safety and labelling advice/prosecutions
- misrepresentation, e.g. on property sales
- consumer protection and pressure selling
- product safety, including appealing recall and other notices, as well as defending prosecutions
Health and Safety
The team has extensive experience in this area of law. We act for directors and companies facing investigation or prosecution for health and safety and/or corporate manslaughter, including advising on providing statements and attending PACE interviews. We also advise on, and conduct, appeals against improvement and prohibition notices.
We represent companies and individuals at inquests following fatal accidents.
We represent companies and individuals during investigations by fire authorities, and work with technical experts to advise on the interface between fire safety and the Building Regulations. The law is due to change following Grenfell and the Hackitt review of building regulations and fire safety, and we can provide advice and support on the implications of the proposed new regime for all those in the development chain, from procurement to final occupation.
See our dedicated competition law page here.
Business risk and compliance
We can help businesses to assess and manage their greatest compliance risks, by assisting them to put in place policies, procedures and systems, and by providing training to directors and employees.
Recent examples include:
- assisting directors in dealing with allegations of fraud
- providing advice, support and representation during investigations by the ICO into alleged data protection breaches, and assisting with putting in place a GDPR compliance programme
- advising companies on how to comply with anti-money laundering legislation, including client due diligence, and source of funds
- acting for a company during an HMRC anti-money laundering investigation