Tyr Law’s commercial litigation team is led by partners Alistair Kennedy and Matthew Fidler, who specialise in dealing with high value and complex commercial disputes.
The team has a number of key clients and, due to us being largely conflict free, disputes are often referred to Alistair and Matthew by major law firms who trust that their clients will be given the highest quality advice, and attentive and committed representation.
We have experience of all types of commercial disputes, having dealt with claims in the High Court and Appeal Courts, arbitration and mediation, and claims that challenge the decisions of public bodies by way of judicial review, including many cases with an international element and that have attracted significant press attention.
We understand and are ready to meet the needs of commercial clients who are involved in litigation with the potential to transform their businesses.
Alistair has been consistently recognised and ranked as a leading individual in the legal directories. He was most recently described in Legal 500 as “a go-to litigator who is someone you definitely want fighting your corner” and has for several years been ranked in Chambers and Partners amongst the leading litigators in the Yorkshire region, being described in the 2019 edition as “very good, both technically and commercially” and “relaxed and objective”.
Matthew has previously worked for two of the UK’s most prominent litigation practices and is described as “a fine lawyer with excellent analytical skills and a disarming ability to get to the heart of a subject quickly”. Alistair and Matthew’s case experience includes:
- Acting for a wealthy property investor in a claim related to a failed joint venture that included allegations of fraud and professional negligence
- Acting for an international defendant on a multi-jurisdictional fraud claim valued at around £300m and concerning the auctioning of Russian Oil assets
- Acting for a property development company on a high value misrepresentation dispute against a peer to peer lender
- Acting for an Isle of Man trustee in a multi-jurisdictional dispute relating to the listing of a well-known company on the London Stock Exchange
- Acting for the beneficiaries of a trust fund in relation to a high value, cross border, trust dispute concerning various industrial properties
- Acting for an individual who was subject to a fraud claim by a major bank involving allegations of around £1bn of false invoices
- Acting for a group of UK retailers on cartel damages claims against MasterCard worth in excess of £1bn – Asda Stores Limited v MasterCard Inc  EHWC 993 (Comm)
- Acting for a company and its shareholders in a high value claim against accountants for professional negligence
- Acting on a range of judicial review matters including reported cases R (on the application of Menston Action Group v City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council)  EWHC 2292 (Admin) and R (on the application of Leicester Gaming Club Ltd) v the Gambling Commission  EWHC 531 (Admin)